Amsterdam Slotermeer Veiligheid Team HQ : “Nature” by Zaira
When Stadsdeel Nieuw-West Wijk Co-ordinator approached us with the brief, we immediately knew that Zaira would be a perfect match. Our feeling was confirmed after talking to all of the residents around the 2 shutters, who have been asking for ‘something like nature’, something beautiful and simple, something light and happy.
We are proud to present the recording of how the magic happened!
Thanks to all of those involved*
today we received a lovely message from another neighbour who wants to join Tales of the Nine - Street-Art Museum in New West*
Keep them coming!
Learning from the Trees*
Artist: Pilar Roca (Spain)
Some months ago I started practicing meditation. It is not a simple process, our mind is always on movement, rough and changing thinking constantly. We are not living in a meditative system, so is difficult to start with it. But knowing about the incredible benefits of it, I decided to continue and continue trying until arriving to a calm state of mind. That means, not following the thoughts, but leaving them go like you watch the clouds pass by on a cloudy day.
During this process, I read something that touched me:
The Mind Is Like a drunken Monkey … Buddha described the human mind as being filled with drunken monkeys, jumping around, screeching, chattering, carrying on endlessly. We all have monkey minds, Buddha said, with dozens of monkeys all clamoring for attention. Fear is an especially loud monkey, sounding the alarm incessantly, pointing out all the things we should be wary of and everything that could go wrong.
Buddha showed his students how to meditate in order to tame the drunken monkeys in their minds. It’s useless to fight with the monkeys or to try to banish them from your mind because, as we all know, that which you resist persists. Instead, Buddha said, if you will spend some time each day in quiet meditation — simply calm your mind by focusing on your breathing or a simple mantra — you can, over time, tame the monkeys. They will grow more peaceful if you lovingly bring them into submission with a consistent practice of meditation…
As an artist, my paintings reflect the process I have, the moments I live. I decided to paint a specific situation, my meditation process, my tree of calm, my crazy and drunken monkeys. Most of us have drunken monkeys, we are full of contradictions, we are hungry of calm and spirituality, but also we are users of buses, rents, documents, money, envy and shopping.
So this is my representation of this fascinating and strange contradiction we (and I) are.
- Individual exhibition on the “Verdi” Theater. Florence, 2012
- Individual exhibition on the exhibition gallery “16 Asas”. Córdoba, Spain. 2011.
- Collective exhibition of Comic and Illustration “VII edición de la muestra de talentos del cómic e ilustración”. in the “Casa de la Juventud” Córdoba. Spain 2010.
- Collective exhibition of Comic and Ilustración “VI edición de la muestra de talentos del cómic e ilustración”. Casa de la Juventud, Córdoba. 2009.
- Exhibition for two times in the library-coffee-theatre “La Citè”. Florence, Italy. 2008/2009.
- Commission of the exhibition “La Mirada Acústica” for the inauguration of the “Pressjovem” festival, Palacio de Orive, Córdoba, Spain. 2009.
- Exhibition in “La Notte”, artistic space. Firenze, Italy. 2007.
- Collective exhibition, first edition of the Young Art Fair, Cordoba 2005.
- Collective exhibition, Animas gallery, Seville 2004.
- Open air exhibition, Fair of Urban Art, Giardini del Prado, Seville 2004.
- Collective exhibition, Oficina Martin Fraire, Seville 2004.
- Permanent exhibition of collages and drawings, Art 21 gallery, Cordoba 2003/2004.
- Individual exhibition, Hércules gallery, Seville 2002.
- Collective exhibition with the artistic group Ventana Plàstica, Seville 2001.
- Collective exhibition, Doble Élice gallery, Seville 2001.
- Two exhibitions at the Café Platea, Seville 1999/2000,
- Collective exhibition with the independent artistic group Activarte at the Martìn Iglesias Hall, Seville2000.
- Collective exhibition, Cìrculo de Amistad, Cordoba, 2000.
- Illustrations for a school text book of English for the editorial “Helbling Languages Photo and Art Editor” 2012
- Ilustrations for the book “La mujer fría” writer by Carmen de Burgos. Edited by “Edebé”, Granada, 2011
- Illustration for “Boronia”, a cultural and artistic andalusian magazine. Córdoba, 2010.
- Illustrations for the book “Terreno fértil, Antología Poética Cordobesa”, that was been presented in the “Cosmopoética 2010” Festival, Edited by Cangrejo Pistolero editions, Córdoba, 2010.
- Writing and Illustrations for various children’s books:
- “¿Para qué sirves perrito?” and “Historias un poco raras de una sola imágen”. These two books are published by “Mil y un Cuentos” editorial. Jaen. International distribution. 2010.
- Illustrations for big panels for the “Noche Blanca del Flamenco”, Córdoba, Spain. 2009.
- Ilustrations for the agends, notebooks and calendary produced by “Aida srl. Productions”, and the ilustrations for others books edited by this company, like “Cappucetto Rosso”. Aida Srl. Florence, 2008- 09
- Ilustrations for the story “Zenzera, la capra”, Exhibition of the illustrations in “la Citè”. Florece. 2009.
- Illustrations for the company “CentoCento” for a multimedia childrens project. Florece. 2008-2009
- Cover illustration of the book “El discurso del Loco”, author Carol Zardetto. Guatemala. 2008.
- Illustrations for “HTLab”, for a multimedia childrens DVD. Rome, 2008
- Illustrations for diferents educations books, Edebé editorial, Granada, 2006.
- Realist illustrations for a scientist book. Enrisan publicidad. 2005.
- Participation in diferents artistic magazines. Sevilla. 2004.
- Cover illustration of the book “Sobre mis párpados cansados”. Juan Liaño Liaño. Sevilla. 2002.
- Cover and interiors illustrations for the book “Hernando Colón, el hijo cordobés del almirante”. Author Maria Dolores López Mezquita. Córdoba. 2001.
- Cover illustration of the book Poesía y fútbol. Francisco Hernández Montalbán. Córdoba. 2001
- Illustrations of the monthly magazine “ActivArte”. Sevilla, 2001.
- Illustrations for the “Euro Campaign” of “Diputación de Córdoba”. Córdoba, 2000.
- Realization of monthly conferences for childrend about illustration, in diferents public andalusians centers, Conferences organizated by “Centro Andalúz de las Letras, (CAL)”. Años 2009- 2011.
Sloterplas - Nature of New West, Amsterdam
Another glorious day in Nieuw-West.
This is a really important article on how working class and minority students are systematically shut out from careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Are you a proud geek or nerd? You need to read this.
I love this article because yet again it confirms what we experience here, in New West Amsterdam*
Multibox is a great space in the Huis van de Wijk, Slotermeer. In the last week we have attended public meetings in MultiBox:
1. Presentation on Residents Initiative Funding for 2013
2. Youth meets Alderman Achmed Baâdoud for debate on Safety in Slotermeer
These two gatherings raised…
"De kids, collega’s en ouders zijn heel blij ermee!"
Today we received the photographs from the kindergarten where La Ira, together with Glamorous Outcasts, have painted this summer.
Sanne contacted us via Twitter and now the big blue container in the middle of the playground represents water. Each group in the nursery has a name: a salamander, frog, fish, dragonfly and a waterlily, so it only made sense to work with Blue and Aqua theme. - Animal Power Collective - APC*
It is true, that our government openly calls us ‘second grade citizens’; but THERE IS HOPE.
"Evil in Modern Thought", an alternative history of philosophy (2002)
Glamorous Outcasts Lunch - Eat that Jamie Oliver
Yes, the average income in our area of New West might be ±600euro per family (some amptenaar has quoted a year ago), but we have amazing fresh vegetables and fruits.
Here’s an example how we can shop, cook and eat together during KidZArt workshops for Tales of the Nine.
Good results = Visible results
We hate to brag, but whatever we touch - turns to green! :)
Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they’re going to catch you in next.
~Franklin P. Jones